Monday 13 September 2010

NYFW so far...

I’m going to start off the week with a selection of my favourite New York spring/ summer 2011 collections so far. Click the links to go to Style.com to view the full collections.

Victoria Beckham SS 2011

Seriously though, who’d have thought that Victoria Beckham would have been able to create such a successful fashion line? I mean, she was in the Spice Girls for god’s sake! Tea towels fashioned into dresses and platform trainers are not things normally associated with high fashion. Her latest collection is as you would expect, very womanly, red carpet ready and full of simple shapes. Even though the collection is exactly what you’d expect after seeing her previous efforts, I still feel surprised by how good it is. I think that’s mainly due to who’s designing it. Loving the nipped in waists on the majority of the line, and those shorter A-line dresses are to die for, especially the purple one above.



You can always rely on Diane von Furstenberg to bring a bold print and splash of colour to New York Fashion Week. That formula hasn’t changed for the SS11 season. So many beautiful prints and rich colours, it almost makes me want to book next year’s summer holiday right now! The iconic Diane von Furstenberg wrap dress has been reinvented this season to include a hood (above). DVF goes street? Who’d have thought it? Here is a shot of SJP and Rachel Bilson at the DVF show, LOVE Rachel’s dress. Don’t know if I’m so keen on SJP’s? One minute I like it the next minute-not so much. Is it just me or does she keep looking younger and more fresh faced with every red carpet appearance?






Loving the use of colour at Prabal Gurung’s show. This is a designer that, a year ago, I’d never heard of. Thank goodness for Red Carpet Fashion Awards, otherwise it may have taken me a while to recognize his work on the red carpet. Again, very feminine designs and a collection dominated by dresses. I think this is one of the main reasons I love spring/ summer more than autumn/ winter, because of the number of dresses showcased. I love the simplicity of the cut of this dress, above, but the bold turquoise makes it pop. It looks like it would feel incredible too.




ADAM is a designer that is new to me. I think I’ve read/ seen/ heard Olivia Palermo mention them before, but other than that I’m not too sure? Love this girly girl collection, I can imagine the likes of Miss Palermo or Taylor Swift glowing at an event/ in a music video in one of these designs. The dresses and skirts are fluid and look very pretty flowing around the models as they storm the runway. I like the continued use of a neutral colour palette also, with the occasional splash or coral/red. Pretty and easy designs show it pays to keep things simple.



Another label I’ve heard mentioned by my fashion crush (Olivia) is Bensoni who showed at NYFW last week. I love these futuristic bohemian inspired designs, do we think easy-breasy could be an early emerging trend for SS11? Here neutrals have been mixed together with acids brights which look great. Not too keen on the cybergirl hair though, definitely not something I’ll be recreating come spring.


Thakoon SS 2011

I love Thakoon. After cementing his status in the fashion world by dressing First Lady, Michelle Obama, Thakoon Panichgul has been going from strength to strength and has a loyal red carpet following. He was featured in The September Issue, all wide eyed and innocent, I hope the bitchy world of high fashion doesn’t jade him. Again lots of gorgeous dresses have been showcased in his SS11 collection. White seems to be another early emerging trend with Thakoon following the likes of Alexander Wang into the realm of ‘don’t come anywhere near me with drinks any other colour than see through’. I’m already wondering how many tubs of Vanish I’m going to go through next year. Barely there fabrics and cutaway designs highlight the fact that Thakoon fans are all going to be on major diets following the Christmas season.


All catwalk images pinched from Style.com, except DVF and Thakoon which are from ElleUK.com. SJP and RB image pinched from Just Jared.





No comments:

Post a Comment