Monday 23 August 2010

Crystal Renn

Crystal Renn has landed herself yet another campaign for a major fashion house. This image above is promoting Chanel's SoHo store re-opening. Renn tells the press that she is a US size 10, that makes her a 14 over here. I am going to be controversial now. I find ultra-skinny models awful to look at, but that doesn't mean that you should replace them with a chubby bird. In the same way size zero was hyped up for certain brands' column inches, it seems that 'size chunk' is the new black. To be honest, I'm starting to get a bit sick of Crystal Renn. "I used to starve myself"..."I was near death"..."I used to spend up to eight hours a day in the gym". GIVE IT A REST WOMAN! If it was so depressing starving yourself into none-existence, why did you continue on your quest to be a model? I understand that she is now more successful than ever, but if I hear one more story about how miserable she was when she was skinny I'm going to throw something at my computer screen.

Anyway...here are some images of recent Renn projects.

Jean Paul Gaultier Fall 2010. Big achievement for a big girl. Although her legs do look to have been slimmed. Wonder why she kicks off about some airbrushed pictures and not others? Guess the higher up in the fashion food chain the brand is, the more willing she is to accept her curves going astray? It'll pay to keep her mouth closed. I'm quite intrigued by the fact that the first two high-fashion houses to use Renn are both French. A country notorious for their anti-fat feelings. Which I find hilarious as they have about 12 million bakeries per square mile, how do you expect a woman to stay slim when you're tempting her with a delicious smelling patisserie on every corner?

This was V magazine's 'Size Issue'. This particular shoot was along the lines of 'fat vs thin'. Trying to prove that bigger girls can carry off high fashion too. Perhaps I've picked the least flattering photo. Or perhaps it's Renn's pose. But I think 'thin' looks edgy, quirky & cool and 'fat' looks slutty.


These are the recent photographs taken of Crystal Renn for 'Fashion for Passion'. Renn was 'absolutely shocked' by the shots as they have clearly airbrushed her back down to a size 6-8. In fact, you can't even tell it's her in these pictures...
Of course she used the incident as an excuse to go on an America talk show to whine and moan about how unfair the industry is and how 'beauty isn't a pant size'... I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I'm getting repetitive now, I'm starting to sound like Renn!
Do you think fashion is using Crystal's size genuinely, or do you think it's to provoke a reaction?
Haha, oh dear. Re-reading this I've realised how fat-ist I sound. Oh well, it's my blog...


No comments:

Post a Comment