Wednesday 15 September 2010

Rodarte Strike Gold



I named Rodarte in my top 5 collections I was most looking forward to seeing during Fashion Month, and I wasn't disappointed. Kate and Laura Mulleavy have struck fashion gold again with their gorgeous spring/ summer 2011 collection.



This, to me, seems like their most wearable collection to date. Normally, for the designs to be translated from runway to red carpet it requires a bit of modification (unless you're Natalie Portman and look fabulous in everything). But this collection I feel will require very little change to make it wearable in real life. Reports were circulating a few months ago, stating that LVMH were possibly looking to acquire the sister's label, so perhaps this commercial collection is Rodarte's response to the rumours?



I've selected my favourite looks from the collection (above) to highlight the genius that is Rodarte. I love the mini, gold accented dresses shown throughout the collection. The pinafore style is cute-meets-sexy in a way that only Rodarte can blend, the girls look innocent but ready for adventure at the same time.



I'm madly in love with the blue and white oriental print dresses. My gran has blue and white china, and I absolutely love it, it makes me feel nostalgic looking at these dresses. When asked about the inspiration for the blue and white pattern, Laura simply said: "We wanted the dresses to look like vases". I especially love the dress that Karlie Kloss is in with the high neck and stomach cut out (4th image down). I'm trying to think of who I want to see wearing this, but I can't think of anyone that would do this dress justice like the magnificent Karlie.



I'm loving the hair styling for the Rodarte show too. The deep side parting with sweep-over fringe is very MySpace circa 2005, but when combined with the dishevelled texture and a hairslide it looks so NOW.



Images: Fashion Gone Rogue



No comments:

Post a Comment