Tuesday 8 February 2011

Can Blake Carry Off Carrie?



If stories this morning are to be believed, Blake Lively is currently ‘in talks’ to star in the Sex and the City prequel, The Carrie Diaries.

I love Sex and the City (the TV Show) and Sex and the City: The Movie (the first one) but I hated SATC2. I was devastated when I watched to find that it was full of grown women acting like silly girls whilst navigating their way (unsuccessfully) through a sea of stereotypes and racism. Maybe I need to give the 2nd movie another go, my friend B has told me that it’s really not that bad second time around, but I just can’t bring myself to do it.

If they (whoever ‘they’ are) do The Carrie Diaries right, I think it could be a huge success. If they do it wrong, they will have hordes of angry fans and their hands. I love Blake Lively, but I’m just not sure if she has the right kind of personality to carry Carrie off? She seems very ‘blah’ where as Carrie is…not. If you are a fan of SATC, I’m sure that you too will imagine a young Carrie Bradshaw as being even more vivacious and outgoing than her 30ish incarnation that Sarah Jessica Parker has played since the 90s. I must admit though, I haven’t yet read The Carrie Diaries so it could be that the younger version of CB is completely different to her older self. But still the main question remains, does Blake Lively have what it takes to step into SJP’s Manolo Blahniks? I remain unsure.


No comments:

Post a Comment