Tuesday 15 March 2011

TV Tuesday: Hellcats



I’ll be honest, most of the TV I watch is what many people refer to as a ‘Guilty Pleasure’. This week’s pick is no exception to the rule, as I have chosen to introduce you to Hellcats, a American college set teen drama based in the world of cheerleading. Like Bring It On before it, Hellcats seems to anticipate the kind of response it is going to get if it takes itself too seriously, and so it is delivered direct to your TV with a generous helping humour.

The show centres around Marti (Aly Michalka) who looses her Law scholarship and has to join her college’s cheerleading team to get an alternative one to stay in school. Along the way she meets ambitious Savannah (Ashley Tisdale), bitchy Alice (Heather Hemmens) and hot Lewis (Robbie Jones) who are all on the cheer squad, but she is not alone, and has back up from her cute best friend Dan (Matt Barr). So far, so ‘stereotypical high school/ college teen dramadey’ right? Well, yes, but what’s wrong with that? I love a bit of not-always-realistic drama to escape the real world and my mundane life, don’t you?

I have only seen the first couple of episodes of Hellcats so far, but I will definitely be following it as I can pretty much guarantee I’m going to love it because it’s made by my favourite American network, The CW (who also make Gossip Girl, The Vampire Diaries, One Tree Hill and 90210).

The show started in the UK last week, and is aired by MTV at 9pm every Thursday. I’d definitely recommend checking it out. Especially if you love Ashley Tisdale (seriously, I can’t wait for the Sharpay spinoff movie!) and cheerleading as much as I do.

I now have a huge urge to watch Bring It On. The first one obviously, does anyone else wonder why they bothered to make any sequels?




No comments:

Post a Comment