Monday 23 May 2011

Those Who Can...Go To Cannes

Once a year, the rich and famous from the worlds of film and fashion flock to the French seaside resort of Cannes for its annual Film Festival. There are many things you are guaranteed to see at Cannes, including MEGA yachts, MEGA jewels (on the MEGA beautiful young women married to the MEGA wealthy older men), MEGA celebrities and, of course, MEGA fashion.
The crème-de-la-crème of the A List world have showcased some stunning looks over the last 11 days, many of which I wouldn’t be surprised to see in the fashion press’ Best Dressed of the Year lists come December.


































The Golden Girls
My favourites from this year’s event were Rachel McAdams (in that Marchesa dress, she was always going to be hard to beat), Zoe Saldana (who is always a breath of fresh air) and Kirsten Dusnt (with Karl Lagerfeld and the Mulleavy sister’s as fashion friends, it’s not really a surprise). But there were many other women who looked consistently good as they arrived for various events, that includes; Fan Bing Bing, Gwen Stefani, Karolina Kurkova, Mia Wasikowska, and Uma Thurman.














Short But Sweet
The majority of the women above stayed in Cannes for the duration of the Festival, and so gave us plenty of opportunity to see them in all their red carpet glory. There were a few brief appearances made by some of my favourite Red Carpet ladies, however, that definitely deserve a mention. Penelope Cruz, who was in town with Johnny Depp (lucky girl) to promote Pirates of the Caribbean 4, looked fabulous in a lilac lace Marchesa number. Diane Kruger, on the arm of her equally well dressed beau Joshua Jackson, arrived in town for the premiere of Sleeping Beauty wearing a gorgeous Calvin Klein metallic sheath dress. The other Olsen sister, Elizabeth, came out in support of her new film Martha Marcy May Marlene, she looked gorgeous in The Row at both the daytime photocall and the evening premiere. Sarah Jessica Parker looked amazing wearing one of my favourite Elie Saab gowns from the SS11 collection, and her white Dolce and Gabanna number looked lovely too.










Colour Me Surprised
I always find Vanessa Hudgens trying-to-be-trademark BoHo looks completely over the top, and I think they make her look like she’s in costume rather than casuals. But I shall give credit where credit is due (although this is more aimed at her stylist than her personally) as she looked very cute at a party hosted by Vitamin Water. I’m still confused as to why she was in Cannes though, anyone else? Someone else who made me do a double take as they looked so good, was Mischa Barton. Yes, I know she was just in a black dress and yes, on anyone else it would have been a lookover-able ensemble. But I honestly can’t remember the last time I looked at a photo of Mischa and didn’t feel sad. Michelle Rodriguez left her ‘look how butch I am, did you know that I’m a lesbian?’ look at home for her brief appearance on the Cannes red carpet. Her shockingly girly gown looked lovely on her, I’m impressed. I’m actually so impressed that I will look over the fact that she forgot to do something with her hair before she left her hotel room. Jane Fonda is 73, SEVENTY THREE! Trust me, I just Wikipedia’ed it. If this picture + her age, doesn’t colour you surprised too then I give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment