Monday 27 September 2010

Get the London Look

Arrghh, serious lack of postage! I need to get back into the swing of things, so I’m going to start off with a round up of London Fashion Week. Yes I know it finished nearly a week ago, but better late than never huh?




First up Mary Katrantzou. I loved this collection, it was so cool to look at. The prints on the dresses were made to look like rooms and balconies. The shapes were feminine yet sharp, and the colours were bright and attention grabbing. My favourite looks (as well as many other fashion fans I’m guessing) have to be these dresses, with the skirts fashioned to look like lampshades. My only question would be how does one sit down in these without flashing the entire room?




David Koma is on my fashion radar as he created that infamous black dress that Cheryl Cole wore on an episode of last year’s X Factor. It was the dress equivalent of marmite, you either loved it or you hated it. I, as you can probably guess, loved it. Although I did hate those over-the-knee boots with it, bit too try hard for my liking. Her stylist should have just let the dress do the talking. Koma’s new collection has been inspired by ballet. This is a theme that keeps recurring at the moment, I’m not sure whether it is due to the Ballet Russes exhibition due on at the V&A, Darren Aronofsky’s Black Swan due out at the end of the year, or just a general love for the classic dance, but ballet is definitely inspiring a few fashion folks.




Someone else inspired by ballet is Erdem. According to Style.com, Erdem spent the summer with the V&A’s Ballet Russes curator and from that experience came this gorgeous collection. Starting out from plain white at the beginning of the show, this s/s 2011 collection blooms into floral prints in red, blue and yellow hues. I love the cutesy collars that have been added to a few of the looks, they look innocent on their own, but when they’re added to see through lace dresses they turn subversive. There is plenty to love in this collection, so I’ve picked just two examples to highlight the brilliance of Erdem.





I’m absolutely loving the colour blocking at Issa for s/s 2011. The girls were sent down the runway looking like 1960s versions of Greek Godesses. The collection was full of gorgeous drapery in fabrics that look like they would be heavenly to touch. Some style were fashioned with a colour clashing turban, whilst others were topped off with an intricately complicated up-do. Again, there’s too much good to choose from, but here are two of my favourite looks for the coming season. I think this is one of those collections that you look at and think “there isn’t one piece that I wouldn’t want to wear”.



All images from Style.com






No comments:

Post a Comment