Monday 14 February 2011

Best of British (and American)

I know I’m technically a ‘fashion student’s so I should be more excited about fashion week, but, at this time of year, the only things that really get my fashion blood pumping are awards ceremonies. Its all well and good seeing beautiful dresses showcased by flawless models, but I always love to see how these designs translate off the catwalk, especially the gowns. Last night saw the BAFTAs taking place in London and the Grammys happening in Los Angeles. As is normally the case with film vs music, it was a case of style vs glamour as some fashion forward ladies walked the red carpet at the BAFTAs and a collection of sultry divas were ready for their close up at the Grammys.






















First up we have my picks from the British Academy of Film and Television Awards. I loved the amount of COLOUR on the red carpet here. My absolute favourites were Amy Adams, Emma Stone and Rosamund Pike (I couldn’t pick just one).

I love that Amy took a chance and stepped away from her usual red carpet uniform of somber colours. This coral Elie Saab dress looks absolutely gorgeous on her, the styling is a perfect fit for a former Disney Princess (please tell me you’ve seen Enchanted?! If not, you should be ashamed).

Emma Stone does this dress the same justice that Karlie Kloss did on the catwalk at Lanvin, which is not an easy feat. The blonde hair is growing on me, and I love the complementary gold accessories, especially the Nicole Richie-esque arm bangles.

Rosamund’s Alexander McQueen dress really suits her colouring, which surprised me as I didn’t think that blondes suited yellow. I am absolutely in love with these print gowns from the label, three of which we’ve seen on the red carpet in the last few weeks, first on Mila Kunis, then Blake Lively and now Rosamund Pike.

Thandie Newton, Bonnie Wright (and her lush hair), Rachel Stevens, Jessica Alba, and Gemma Arterton also deserve a mention for giving us a burst of colour on the red carpet.

Unfortunately, I was left feeling let down by both of my current red carpet crushes. Jennifer Lawrence and Hailee Steinfeld both failed to miss the mark for me.

I love the bodice of Jennifer’s dress, but the skirt looks too heavy and the choker takes it into Saloon Wench territory. A slim fit skirt, perhaps with a fishtail flare hem, would have been preferred.

Again, I love the top of Hailee’s look, but her skirt is a very mumsy length, and ages her about 30 years. Knee length, or even a sassy mini, would have looked much better on the young starlet.

No comments:

Post a Comment